How To Polish Your Exhaust Tips

After the success I had polishing the exhaust tips on my E46 330d, I was keen to emulate the results on the 335i. After-all the defining feature of the 335i is those symmetrical single exit exhausts.

Here's how I got the following results.


In addition to the Scotchbrite fibral polishing kit I ordered for the 330d, I picked up a kit that was much less abrasive, allowing me to achieve (nearer to) a mirror finish.

The Scotchbrite kit was £16 delivered and the Buffing kit £18.95 delivered, neither really breaking the bank, and I've no doubt will be useful for all-sorts of future applications.

Scotchbrite fibral polishing bitsAluminium And Brass 15pc Metal Polishing Kit 3" x 1/2" NFKA-3001

I ordered the buffing kit (above, right) from metalpolishingsuppliesuk, I have to say their customer service is fantastic. Out of the blue I get a call from an unknown caller, which usually I don't answer but this time I did. Turned out to be one of the guys from the store asking if I'd received the kit and if I had any questions or wanted help and advice on the job I was doing.

Much like my 330d, I suspect the exhaust tips had never been cleaned properly before - 8 years and 40,000 miles of corrosive emissions had probably taken a bit of a toll.

So here's what I was starting with:

BMW E92 335i exhaust pipe BMW E92 335i exhaust pipe

To get the bulk of the build up off, I started with some Autosol and the Scotchbrite fibral polishing bit. The keener eyed reader will notice these images say 330d, I forgot to take a picture of this bit, doh!

Scotchbrite fibral polishing bit on mandrelAutosol Metal Polish

Moving on, I chucked up one of the more abrasive felt buffing bits and loaded it with the first cut compound.

felt buffing bit loaded with polishing compound

And to finish, I loaded the cylindrical buffing wheel with some of the high lustre compound.

cylindrical buffing wheel with high lustre compoundpolishing exhaust tip

The photos don't really do the results justice, despite the corrosion leaving pitting on the surface, the actual surface finish is great. The high shine really makes the exhausts stand out and takes years off the car.

Take a look at the before and after shots, just ignore the dirt on the valance/bumper...

Before and After

Standard BMW E92 335i exhaustStandard BMW E92 335i exhaust clean

Standard BMW E92 335i exhaust dirty close upStandard BMW E92 335i exhaust clean close up

Standard BMW E92 335i exhausts


Definitely a worthwhile job, only takes about 30mins and really makes a difference to the back end of your car.


Post a Comment

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.